+30 2311180790or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show on map
Published on 2014-09-18
O Evrytania Prefecture has many other attractions nearby Karpenissi Traditional City and Mountain Resort area of Karpenisi. The current Guide of Karpenisi has some remarkable suggestions for its visitors for accommodation and sightseeing.
The bridge of Manolis
Such attraction of Manolis Bridge and a feat of folk architecture can only be 'Manolis' but the whole world. Naturally this intention he had when, in 1659, built this magnificent work bridging in the river of Agrafioti and offering safe passage of Evritania to the Swamp (Aitoloakarnania Prefecture).
According to tradition, the creator of the bridge, Manolis Chrysiotis, from Daphne Haryana and his wife Paraskevi from Vrangiana Village were a childless couple. So, he decided to create a 'child' (the bridge) and his wife two daughters (the church of Agia Paraskevi in Vrangiana and gold Woman or Chryso in Greek).
The bridge is impressive, arched, with a height of 22 meters and an opening arc of about 30 meters. Still preserved inscription that says: 'It was built in 1659, the Owners Dimitrios and Manolis'. Used continuously for 3 centuries as the only passage from Karpenissi to western Central Greece, until the construction and creation of Kremaston Lake of the Period of 60s.
Since then water level rose, Agrafiotis River necame something like between river and lake, but this unique monument has not lost its glory. It can no longer serve hikers, but it became a very special attraction, a sight that never shows the same image to the visitor as well as the lake level when immersed and lost almost all emerging and when presenting a beautiful and mysterious image but . A ceaseless battle that, which comes out a winner when the bridge and when the lake. A battle which oversees the nature and puts their own rules. A battle is very different from that of 1807 AD when kleftes Katsandonis Albanians clashed with the Away Mouchourtari who tried to prevent them from crossing the bridge. In this Turk-Albanians were killed on 80 and 10 Greeks, among them Bob duplicate, godfather Katsandonis, at 75 years old.
Nowadays in this beautiful corner of Evritania is organized canoeing - kayaking in West Fragista. In order to get here, follow the road to the Karpenisi to Agrinio and after West Fragista take the road to Tsuka and later you will see it on your left.
From Karpenisi: 55 km
From ski center: 65 km
A breath of Karpenisi (just 3 miles south) we find a beautiful, historic location, Kefalovriso. Smothered in green, the trees and running waters, Kefalovriso is an ideal recreational area. Here you can relax with the help of the gurgling of running waters, we will enjoy the company of shady plane trees, admire the beauty of the small pond with ducks to stroll lazily back and forth.
The facilities of the municipality Karpenisiou will satisfy everyone, and include restaurant, cafeteria, recreation area, tennis courts, playground, park road safety ... until trout farm.
In the battle of Kefalovrysos held in this place in August 1823 killed one of the greatest fighters of the revolution, Marco Botsaris. A monument in his honor has been erected at the point where the enemy found him a bullet. Also, as a token of gratitude to the great Greek general, the statue adorns the main square Karpenisiou.
From Karpenisi: 3 km
From ski center: 14 km
Rarely, human intervention in the natural environment manages to maintain the beauty of nature. One of these rare occasions was the creation of an artificial lake Kremasta, the largest in Greece, which joined so harmoniously into the environment, so only those who know they are artificial may believe.
Of course, several important historical and natural monuments and villages had to be sacrificed on the altar of development and technology. Thus, in the waters of Lake Kremasta rest forever, including the monastery of the Diocese (8th century), the arch bridge Tatarna the source Mardachas (the largest feeder of Achelous), the bridge that when Manolis covered the whole of the water and when it emerges, depending on the level of the lake, the villages of Agios Vassilios, Irons Trichonis Diocese etc.
The lake began to rise after the construction of the dam Kremasta, whose work ended in 1966 with the construction and the accumulation of vast amounts of water in the region caused an earthquake on July 5, 1966 which resulted in many abandoned villages and farmsteads. The dam, one of the largest in Europe, is dirt and the volume reaches 8.13 million cubic meters. Its height is 160 meters, length 460 meters, while the width of the base is 670 meters. There is also the Hydroelectric Station Electricity The main feeders of the lake are the rivers Achelous, Tavropos, Agrafiotis and Trikeriotis. The lake covers an area of 80,000 acres, has a maximum capacity of 4.75 billion cubic meters.
It is from Karpenissi about 57 km (up to the bridge Diocese). In several places we can enjoy its beauty and to engage in various sports such as rafting, kayak, rappelling etc..
From Karpenissi 57 miles (bridge Bishopric)
From ski center: 66 km
Hill of Saint Dimitriou
South of Karpenissi, just outside the city is the hill of St. Demetrius. The reason for the visit is the view of the entire city Karpenisiou front of us, crowned by the permanent patron, Timfristos Velouchi or if you prefer. According to tradition, this hill was part of Tymfristoy dislodged and landslides here millennia ago. Hilltop castle was said and speculations are strengthening various findings that come to light from time to time.
Awe. Sensationalism. Admiration. Exaltation and serenity. They feel facing the stunning landscape in which they are built one of the most famous monasteries in Greece, the monastery Bursa. Awe, because the scenery is majestic, with the surrounding mountains and Kaliakouda Chelidona be joined at this point, with the steep gorge at our feet reaching nearly to Karpenissi the firs slopes spread out around us. Sensationalism, the endless beauties of Evritania, one of the most pristine and clean world. Admiration for the excellent result achieved by the tireless efforts of all those who worked with faith and devotion, under adverse conditions, in order to glorify the Almighty. Exaltation and peace, because this is the perfect place to get closer to God and to ourselves.
The monastery was founded in the 9th century tradition, or another aspect of the 12th century (according to dating the wall), when Emperor in Byzantium was known iconoclast Theophilus. The same tradition brought to the image of Our Lady (alleged to be the work of an evangelist Luke) from Bursa, a young man with his servant, to escape the fury of the iconoclasts. That image, through a series of miracles, indicated the area in which the Virgin Mary wanted to build the monastery. These two were the first to live the monastic life here, with the names Dennis and Timothy. The first church of the monastery was destroyed by fire in 1587, when it was built today, considered the most famous Karpenisi.
The Monastery Prousou experienced glory days during the revolution of 1821, when it was used as a base and refuge from the militants. Here and hosted the commander of the revolution Georgios Karaiskakis in order to recover from the heat tormented him for some time. The name of the Karaiskaki connected with the monastery, and funded the silver cover image of the dedicated stars of General and donated his arms (which are now kept in the museum of the monastery) as a sign of respect and gratitude to her.
Another important year in the long history of the monastery was in 1944, when on August 16 burned a large part of the German army, because it was hiding rebels, thus destroying many important relics, but fortunately not the image of the Virgin, which were placed in a special crypt monks. The reconstruction after the disaster that was started by the end of the civil war in 1950 and continued in the 70s.
Also in the area of the Monastery, worth to see the clock built like an eagle's nest on the opposite hill, offering stunning views of the monastery and the gorge, the church of All Saints (1754), the building of the Greek School of Arts (1820) and two 'towers Karaiskakis', fortifications that were responsible for the safety of the monastery, who restored and deemed preserved.
The Monastery Prousou celebrating on 23 August and attracts many believers from Karpenissi and from every corner of Greece.
From Karpenisi: 32 km
From ski center: 41km
The monastery Tatarna (Lady) was one of the most important pilgrimage sites of mainland Greece, with turbulent history. The tradition says was founded about 1200 After about life 300 years the monastery was destroyed and rebuilt in 1555 the second was destroyed in 1823 by the infamous Kurt Pasha because it was used by fighters of the revolution. Rebuilt in 1841 to destroy this time by a landslide in 1963, the fourth consecutive single, today, was built in the 1970s in a slightly different location, on a peninsula that forms the lake Kremasta.
It may not impress as the old architectural and historic monasteries, but it is a nice and neat monastery is worth visiting for the Relics, history and the seat. Here we can admire the mosaic 'King of Glory' dating from 1350, the museum of the monastery will see rare manuscripts from the 16th century, Byzantine icons, sacred vessels, vestments, etc..
From Karpenisi: 70 km
From ski center: 80 km
Always Raining or Panta Vrechi (In Greek)
Certainly one of the most famous attractions of Haryana, but requires special desire to see, since the difficulty of access to here is moderate (summer) to impossible (winter). This is however Karpenissi Evritania general. With different suggestions for each season (to brings back to often in her arms).
The 'Pantavrechi' is not exactly gorge, not just cataract. It's like a movie, something between 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. In fact it is the narrowest point Krikelopotamos, where mountains and Kaliakouda Platanaki about to hug each other, as if tired of centuries of existence that we carry.
In this impressive gorge, approximately 100 meters, will see the side Kaliakoudas to fall from a great height springs, which over the years have eroded the ground giving negative slopes, while green moss hanging all together forming a 'curtain' 'woven with the taste of nature. The stunning scenery is complemented by the ponds formed by running water in one of the cleanest (as designated) areas of Europe.
Access quite difficult, is through Karpenisiou - Krikelos - Domnistas - Agios Charalambos - Watchtower - Kastanoula - Roska .. Another proposal is the path Karpenisi - Grand Village - reserve Kaliakoudas - Stournara (Doliana).